Policies and Procedures
Children from 18 months of age through eighth grade are eligible for admission to MSH. Because the Montessori curriculum is uniquely designed based on interdependent phases of development, we encourage enrollment at an early age for maximum benefit. Enrollment is granted to children at MSH with an understanding that the family intends to commit to the duration of the curriculum cycle in which the child is enrolled, i.e. 3-5 year cycle for children in early childhood programs, a 6-year cycle for children in the elementary programs, and a 2-3 year cycle in the adolescent community.
- Virtual admission appointment: To initiate the admission process, families will schedule a 20-30 minute virtual appointment with our Admission Director between September 1 and December 15 each year. Families who apply during this application period receive priority consideration for available openings for the upcoming school year. We recommend that families review ahead of this meeting the current year Family Handbook and Calendar available on our website.
- Submit application and nonrefundable $150 application fee: An application packet will be emailed to interested families following the admission interview. The completed application, fee, and requested records as applicable (see below) are required for families to move forward with the next step in the application process.
- Student records/transcripts:
- Complete the Ages & Stages Questionnaire (ASQ-3) and submit to the Admissions Director. (included in the application packet for toddler and primary applicants only) The ASQ-3 is a screening tool that provides a snapshot of your child’s development. The ASQ-3 supports our ability to individualize children’s education and to evaluate availability of resources to meet each child’s needs.
- Student Records: If your child is currently attending another school, please request their records to be sent to the Montessori School of Huntsville ATTN: Admission 15975 Chaney Thompson Rd. Huntsville, AL 35803.
- Letters of Introduction: For children rising to 1st-8th grades, we request a Letter of Introduction from the child’s current or most recent teacher.
- Immunization Record: A current Alabama Immunization Record must be on file for your child’s first day of school. Delays in submission of this document will postpone the start date for your child and tuition will not be prorated for days missed.
- Child and family interview: Families who apply during the application period will be contacted between January and February to schedule the child and family interview. Interviews are conducted between February and March. For families who apply later in the year, interviews will be scheduled following receipt of the application, fee, and records.
- Prospective family education requirement: Prospective families are required to participate in a family education workshop prior to enrollment. In-person workshops are offered in October and March of each year.
- Notification of enrollment status: Assuming that families, guides, and the administrator agree that enrollment is recommended, your child will be assigned to a class or, if enrollment is full, placed in the waiting pool for the intended program.
- Completion of admission documents and enrollment agreement: Admission paperwork and the enrollment contract will be sent to the email address provided via Transparent Classroom, our online record keeping system. All admission and financial documents must be completed in full and signed before your child will be able to attend their first day of school. A supply fee is due on March 1 or at the time of enrollment if enrollment occurs after March 1.
- Student Trial day: A student trial day is scheduled for rising 1st-8th grade students.
Enrollment in MSH is renewed annually, with the student records updated and fees required each year. Currently enrolled families have priority registration in the month of December to secure their place for the next year before enrollment is opened to the community at large on January 1.
Program Eligibility by Age
The Montessori School of Huntsville offers programs for children 18 months through sixth grade. Applicants to the school may be admitted to our programs based on the following ages:
Toddler 18-36 months
Children may enroll in the toddler program on or after they turn 18 months of age. Children in the toddler program must move to the primary program by 36 months of age.
Primary 2 1⁄2 through 6 years of age
All new-to-MSH children must be 3 by September 1 to be eligible for entry into the Primary program. Children moving up from the Toddler program may begin the primary program as early as 21⁄2 years of age and remain in the primary program typically through their sixth birthday. The capstone year of the primary program is referred to as the Kindergarten year. Children must be 5 by September 1 to be considered as a Kindergarten student.
Lower Elementary 1st – 3rd Grades
Children may join the Lower Elementary classroom at 6 years of age. Children must be 6 by September 1 to be eligible for the lower elementary program.
Upper Elementary 4th – 6th Grades
Children may join the Upper Elementary at 9 years of age.