A Time of Growth
The school earned the status of “affiliate” with the American Montessori Society in 1988 after two years of self-study and consultation. Full-time, year-round childcare was first offered in 1990.
Purchasing a second site at 1206 Blevins Gap Road in 1992 allowed the addition of another preprimary class and a lower elementary class by September of 1993. That same year, AmSouth Bank awarded MSH a grant to develop a joint geography program with a local public school.
The years 1993 to 1999 marked growth in student enrollment, budget, programs, and facilities. By 1999 student enrollment had increased to 115 students, with one toddler class for 18-month to 3-year-old children (added in 1996), four preprimary classes, and the elementary program. Long-range plans were made and a formal search was begun to find a site on which to consolidate the school programs and facilities.
In 1998 MSH purchased nearly 11 acres of land on Chaney Thompson Road in southeast Huntsville for a new campus. Ground was broken for the new facility in May of 2001, and the toddler class, two preprimary classes, and the elementary program moved into the “green” building, with natural daylight as its primary light source, in September of 2002. The eastern portion of the property has not yet been developed, but long-range plans include an outdoor classroom.